Outdoor recreation is for people of all physical abilities, but it helps to have some good resources at hand. The Universal Access office of the Mass. Dept. of Conservation & Recreation is a great place to start, featuring a richly populated event calendar and excellent phone support at 413-545-5353.
Other New England organizations sponsoring or facilitating handicap-accessible events:
- All-Out Adventures (Northampton, MA) Accessible paddling, biking, hiking, camping, skiing, skating for people of all abilities. 413-584-2052
- Northeast Passage (Durham, NH): Innovative programs for barrier-free, healthy recreation. 603-862-0070
- Community Boating (Boston, Charles River): Accessible sailing programs. 617-523-1038
- Community Rowing (Boston, Charles River): One of the largest rowing clubs in the country; daily adaptive rowing sessions; free rowing for veterans. 617-964-2455
- Hopkinton Outdoor Recreation offers an adaptive paddling program in the summer. 603-325-2088
- Barrier-free Fishing (statewide): 617-626-1250.
More Pierce Press News